View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Baitfish

Adament is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie Fishing Gear Tips, Tricks

The anchor is a good Idea, that’s one of the things on my first trip out I realized I needed. After looking around at traditional “anchors” I decided I needed a less traditional approach. I have a sit in , emotion glide, and although it’s not really cramped feeling, there really isn’t an abundance of space on any kayak, so I made a custom modified anchor.
I bought a 75 foot length of weaved polypropylene rope (that’s about the max depth I’ll be in), not real high tensile strength, but then again, I’m not anchoring a yacht. Some “C” shaped hooks that I bent outward a bit with a vise to get into the form I wanted, and I used a 2½ foot length of ½ inch rebar with a hole drilled into the center for anchor.
The hooks I used on the stern starboard side to keep the rope wound up, and the rebar is secured nicely in a bungee paddle lock. When I’m out on the lake, en route or trolling, I just rest the rebar against the rope and hooks, it stays quite secure, in transport I secure it in the paddle lock bungee cord ****(whatever it’s called) I wanted something semi-heavy but that didn’t take up excessive space, and the rebar fits the bill quite nicely, I also primed it grey to match the kayak, and to secure from rust.