View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Baitfish

g-man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie Fishing Gear Tips, Tricks

It probably depends what type of fish you are going for, but there are some things I find useful. I have a NativeWatercraft Ultimate 16 Propel and a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu. I fish with my son, mostly on small lakes. We often want to stay in one area and avoid drifting, so we have two things that work nice for that. First I have a short rope with a small spring clamp tied to it that works well to tie off to trees or other objects. We also use a small claw anchor and I have a rope with loops tied of at 6, 10, 20 and 30+ feet, we use a clip on the desired depth loop and drop it. I have a pulley system on the side of the kayak, this is a lifesaver and allows you to position the anchor to the front or back your yak to position you whatever way you want to face in windy condtions. I keep a sharp knife close in case we would get hung up and need to cut it loose. Inverting the anchor and using a ziptie to hold the rope to the "top" of the anchor has saved me many times in rocky snags. Hope that helps.