Thread: June Lake
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Predator

Scott Shaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: June Lake

Perry and I have been up to the Loop for many a year. Great place to hang.First of all ,there are four lakes , and all are a bit different. My personal choice is Silver Lake , past town and around the loop. These lakes are deep . and whatever get's your lures or bait down is going to help. At first and last light , you might find them on the surface.After that , they go down to the thermocline. Get a leadcore outfit.A large ocean reel that will hold 10 colors of lead line, 15 or 18 pound, and a stiff rod , as the leadcore will bend the rod from it's own weight.My personal rod and reel is a Shimano 4000GT moocher reel on a 25lb. ocean 7' spinning rod. I like a spinning rod so that the bulky leadline will pass thru easier. Have about 20' of 6Lb. mono with a very small swivel between the leadcore and the mono. Small rapala's ( gold my favorite) , needlefish spoons,and Olive Matuka flies are some things that work.Paddle at different speeds,S-curve your kayak, and experiment. With the leadcore , start at 3 to 4 colors out , and remember that if you stop , the line will sink and snag the bottom. Fish deeper once the sun gets up high , go shallow when the light is off the water.I am now more of a fly fisher , but bait will do the trick. Watch what others are making it work. Have fun , and leave some for your buddy's. Scott