View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Free Swimmer

onipa'a is on a distinguished road
Default Dana Point (BIG FISH)

The day started as normal with Mike and I launching at 4:30a.m from Baby beach. We were heading out to fish the pipe for some sand bass and calico's. The bass were chewing like I haven't seen in a long time, Mike caught a nice calico and sand bass on his first two drops, while I was busy with my own calico's using swim baits. The bass fishing remained good until about 8:00, when all hell broke lose, my rod that I had at the bottom with a new penny 6" grub with 15# P-line on it almost got yanked out of the holder, I grab it to set the hook and realized.....Damn!!!!! this is a huge fish. I called over to Mike (who really helped out by keeping me calm, and just in case!!) I was being pulled out to deeper water at first, then South, North and finally back in. It took me 45min. to land the fish. (I was beat, but really stoked)
It will be a day Mike and I will not soon forget, I look at it as, I got super lucky, but I'll take that.
Here are some pictures of today.

Early morning bass bite.

This fish was weighed at the fuel dock scale, and it tipped in at 65.5lbs.

I got some measurements of the fish too.

This was the biggest WSB I've ever caught, and the best part was using my bass rod to do it.