View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Free Swimmer

flatinfifth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mission Bay OEX Tournament Report

Wow.........what can I say..........GREAT TOURNAMENT!!!

It was great seeing everyone again. It's been too long. Thanks to the tournament sponsors like Nancy said; without them it would be an entirely different scene. The weigh boat folks went out of their way to make this tournament a success; a great applause for them and THANKS. Congratulations go out to the top ten folk; GREAT JOB.

Here is my tournament: I concentrated on a deep bite because I hate to troll and I am too much of a freshwater bass guy to fish any other way; that's me. Even though I had found shallow fish at a prefish a few weeks ago, the deeper fish proved to be better so I concentrated on those. It was S-L-O-W and you needed patience. I caught a ton of little fish right off the bat on the blade; all 11 7/8 inches. Moved around a bunch fishing shallow until I finally ended up in my deep water hole. A dozen casts an I had my 2-plus pound fish. I was so excited that on the next cast I had a backlash. While plucking out the backlash I get bit, swing and my finger is stuck in the spool, swing swing, ouch ouch!! pull my finger out of the backlash, bring it up and inches from the boat, it opens it's mouth and the bait just come out.....WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easily bigger than the previous fish!!!!!!!!! Ok.......put it together.....you just farmed like a pro.......concentrate on the next one.........ish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing .............. forty-five minutes later and a couple of dinks later.........I'm out of here. What to do.............. next spot. Moved about a mile and found my second deep water spot as someone else is leaving.........hope they didn't burn it.................fished for fifteen minutes and BANG ......1.4 pound fish. Another five minutes and another 1 pound and then the bite dies. Had four and rushed back to Bahia, fished there for nothing and then smoked back to the weigh in. While fishing outside on the point I'm talking lots of bs with Mike M. and pow I get bit, ski that thing in and I'll be damned if it isn't 11 and 7/8 inches long. Tried like hell to make it go but no cigar. Had to weigh in four. I found out Mike hates me.

All in all for me it was super fun. Met a bunch of people out on the water and gabbed a bit. It was a tough bite. My brother gave me another lesson in fishing; Al is in the ZONE. It's competitive fishing at its finest. The people are first class, the sport is fantastic and I can't wait for the next one. Steve, Andy, Nate et al..............THANK YOU.

Angel Figueras
Team Southwind Kayak
Dobyns Rods
Attached Images