View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Baitfish

robertyak is on a distinguished road
Default Mission Bay OEX Tournament Report

I would like to start off by saying thanks to OEX for keeping the tournament trial going again this year. Unfortunately, due to other commitments this year I had to miss the first event and I am going to miss the Dana event. Thanks to Tommy for donating the fish for the tacos they were great. Thanks to Ed Howerton!!!
I decided at 8:00 pm on Friday night that I was going to throw some stuff together and fish the event. While I was in my garage looking at tackle and what line I had on reels I decided the my best bet would be to fish blades and cranks having fished the SWBA event in March I knew that unless things had drastically changed I could probably get a limit in Fiesta or Sea World Passage but not win there. With that in mind I decided I was going to Mariners and Quivaras basin. I had not been in Quivaras for more than 10 minutes or so when I got a legal spottie, after that (3) barracuda and then nothing for a couple of hours I did not have a lot of other options being that I did not have any other tackle so I just kept at it and then much like flipping a light switch things turned on. In a matter of 15 minutes or so I boated (4) more legal fish hit the weigh boat and got right back to it caught (4) more legal fish only one that was going to help my overall weight so I released (3) and weighed (1). About 11:45 I called it quits and headed back for the Sailing Center I wanted to get in and loaded up so I could hit the road. Grabbed a few tacos and watched everyone land took few minutes to say goodbye to some of the guys and hit the road. My wife was waiting for me to get home so we could head up to Big Bear we have a couple projects we are working on in our cabin.
I was surprised as I could be with Hobie Tom sent me a text saying “you won”. I knew I was just over 8 pounds I just did not think that going to be enough to win. A special thanks to Mike Bomemeke for picking up my winnings for me. It was really nice to see everyone today and to see a lot of new faces in the crowd as well.
Robert Yakemonis
"Team LK Lures"
"Team Uni Goop"