View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Impromptu Ocean Swim

I posted this on (2) other forums, but any additional input is welcome.

Impromptu Ocean Swim

I guess enough can not be said about becoming very familiar with your kayak before venturing out to open ocean!

I was about 1/4 mile out Oceanside Harbor just drifting in medium swells with current going towards land. The Navigator XF was sitting broadside to the swells, no drogue or anything. I reached to retrieve a rod from rod holder in the aft well on the starboard side as I have done many times with no problem. As I turned around towards the bow, all of a sudden I found myself up on the port side rail and into the water I went. I tried in vain to haul myself onboard but owing to the type of clothing I was wearing I could not do it. Also my legs were under the boat going along with the current I guess. The weight of the clothing made it difficult. I had on thermal underwear, some thin polysester jogging pants, and then a heavier snow boarding pants, golfing wind breaker, topped with a heavier water resistance coat that was lined and of course a PFD. The whole thing acted like a sponge!

That is the WHAT. I am not sure as to the HOW or WHY.
Many things I guess I could have done like maybe trying to climb onboard from the other side enabling my legs to float away from the boat and hopefully making an attempt easier. I did not react in time to lean away from the direction the boat was taking, and the paddle was not in a position to brace quickly enough.

I did not panic and was relataively calm (didnt even lose my hat or glasses). Luckily there was a boat in the vicinity who rescued me. I was in the water perhaps 5 minutes. Outside temp was around 50 degrees, not sure how cold the water was at 7:30 a.m.

Gear was secured for the most part with leashes on paddle and two rods. The only two items I lost were the gaff and anchor which were not secured properly.

I was lucky this time. My folly for going it alone and also for not actually practicing a re-entry maneuver. I did read a lot, and although I had a good idea of what to do, I simply was not able to. I was surprized at this boats lack of secondary stability given the width is 31 inches, I guess its a little top heavy as far as center of gravity goes.

(Shoulda got the Tarpon)...

James
Until next time, thanking GOD that I am still able to say that!