View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tie it All Down !

Robert,

I did the same thing a few months ago. It's the only time I flipped for no particular reason. I blamed myself, but now that I see it happened to you, I think it must be our Tarpons! Maybe we should check for a recall notice?

I guess for all of us, the movements we make in the boats become very deliberate and without thinking about it, you always maintain your center of gravity. Normally!

I was fishing the edge of the kelp beds. I swung my legs around to sit sideways. As I did, I leaned back like you would if you were swinging around on a park bench, or something like that. It all happened in a second. I was wearing a wet suit and sitting in a little water, so maybe it was easier to slide. Anyhow, As I swung around, I leaned back, slid over the gunnel, my feet hit the bottom of the boat and kicked it the rest of the way over.

On the bright side, it was the first time I really tested my PFD and wet suit. I was warm and bobbed back up like a cork. When I went to right the boat, it turned about half way and stopped. I thought, "Man, this is weird!" Then I looked to the stern and saw that one of my rods was hung in the kelp. I cleard the rod and it was very easy to flip the yak and get back on board. I lost one rod and reel. Happily, it was some of my less expensive gear, so I think it was a cheap lesson learned.

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"