View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: buying decisions

Okay in the FWIW department. I made a deal on the Cobra Navigator XF mostly because it came fully equipped and the owner convinced me it is a decent boat. It has been well taken care of. It comes with a 5 gal live bait tank which usually is mounted behind the seat in the well, but he also made a very sturdy velcro mount in the cockpit which works well provided I am not wearing large boots or something. (I usually use surf booties anyway). I have read many reviews and despite a small number claiming it has questionable secondary stability, I am of the opinion after talking with the owner it will not pose a problem. He says it is "fast" and tracks well. Again, this is subjective and I am not overly concerned as I wont be making any long treks anyway and will stay in bays and nearby coastal kelp. I could not pass it up given he is providing most everything I need for now i.e. paddle, seat, trolley,anchor,bait tank, battery, case, switch, charger, pfd. The weight is about 45 lbs and is 31 inches wide which was a consideration given my intent to transport rooftop on my Hyundai Sonata using a Hobie Quick Strap Rack system. I like that as the tie straps are sewn in to the foam pads. Oh...also negotiated a pretty good deal and am saving nearly $900 over my original intended purchase of a Tarpon 140 and Thule Hard Rack.

Anyway, its a done deal.