Thread: motor on kayak?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: motor on kayak?

Welcome to the forums .

Most of the people I know who use a trolling motor on a kayak do so on a Cobra FnD, which comes with inserts from the factory to facilitate this. I'm not sure if the Liquid Logic kayaks are meant to be motorized. I know the 12 foot Manta Ray is a few inches narrower than the FnD or xFactor, but I don't know how much in the stability department you would lose. Plus I think the rated weight capacity for the 12 footer is 375lbs, but I dunno how accurate that is. Some manufacturers rate capacity on the shy side so if a kayak says it will carry 400lbs, you can load 400lbs in it and still have a few inches of freeboard left no problems. Other manufacturers, when they say 400lbs and you get 300lbs in it you wonder what hat they pulled the 400lbs figure out of.

Some anglers who use trolling motors use them as the main propulsion, and other turn them on low to assist in their paddling. Sorta like a kicker motor would be. The ones who use it as an assist definately get increased range because the motor helps in the glide.

How many miles can you get? Really, I can't say as there are just too many variables. If you look at a motor spec sheet you should be able to get some idea of the current draw and look at a battery spec and get a rough idea from there. Hope this helps,
PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube