Thread: Cat 9/1 Report
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Cat 9/1 Report

Fished Cat with my friend Mike who was back in town after moving to Nashville last year.

Left my house at 5:30am, launched at Davies, made a tank full of Macs by Nachos and then 30-35mph all the way to Cat in flat, glassy conditions.

Hit the Avalon Bank on the way out, water still 72-74 degrees there. Dropped baits on a few paddies for nada, other than seeing a giant mola maybe 6 feet in diameter.

Headed up to Salte Verde and found about 10 boats anchored in 90 feet of water. Saw a few folks with fish hanging. Dropped the trolling motor and worked our way around the fleet. Ended up with 2 nice yellowtails and a 10lb bonito, all on macs. Biggest problem we had was the big bonito were hitting the macs and killing them. We went thru 30 baits in a bit over 2 hours.

Hit the East End boilers for bass and got rocked by a big fish.
By 12:00noon the wind was howling out of the north (20-25mph maybe). 2.5 hours later, we entered Long Beach Harbor. Got our a$$es kicked on the trip home but I was really impressed with how the boat handled the conditions and was never nervous on the trip home.

Fished a few of the islands and the Wall, plus hit up Fermin for one drift, and we caught an assortment of all 3 basses.

Back on the trailer, headed home, fished cleaned and showered by 9:30pm.

No pics cause I "thought" I left the camera at home, only to find it this morning right there in the dry bag were it should have been.

Ed