View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road
Default FEB 7 Fish Get Together At Dana Point

Ignored the weathermans forcast and headed down to Dana Point at 5:30 arrived at 6:15. Hit paches of rain on the way down though Dana was dry with very light winds. Launched at 7:30 and headed out of the harbor into a building south wind swell and wind swell. Paddled south about a mile adn started a drift in 30 ft of water. The wind was still building and I was back at the harbor mouth in 10 minutes. Hadden't had a bite so I headed back into the harbor. Fished the area arround the bait barge and the rain started

By 9:00 I was soaked thru my sweatshirt so I headed in and changed into my dry top over the waders. Fishing was slow I had two bites with one pulling drag for 30 seconds before I lost it. The only fish of the day for me was a 12" halibut, when I got it to the kayak the tail of my fluke was sticking out of its mouth, when i lifted it out of the water it opened its mouth and the fluke poped out. This is why I always use Uni Butter even when a fish is not hooked it does not want to let go of the artificial bait. By 11:00 I was really cold and got of the water broke down the kayak, changed into dry clothes and sat in the van drinking coffee till 12:00 when the rain stopped. Chris fired up the BBQ grilled some burgers and we filled up an them chips and some awsome pasta salad that Gilberts wife made. 9 brave souls signed up and at 2:00 the official weigh in was held, the wining fish was a legal sand bass which was the only legal fish brough in. Even with the weather it was a great day on the water.............................