Thread: No bananas 5/13
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default No bananas 5/13

Jackie and I fished Tidelands today. Launched around 7 and shortly after a slight onshore breeze picked up. Never really warmed up today but at least the wind and the tides were working together.

Started of the day tossing the spinnerbaits for a couple for spotties, no pictures because they were just average sized. Jackie started her day off a little bit different, I’ll let her explain.

So who knew that a little yellow piece of fruit that cute little monkeys like to eat could create such havoc to a fisherman! Next time it’ll listen. I decided to bring a banana as a snack while out on the water. Bob warned me not too … but I being the optimist couldn’t believe a curse would follow on a kayak! Believe me when I say it does! As I was wheeling my kayak to the launch site my kayak fell off the wheels … should have realized then what I was in store for. Got out on the water and as soon as I started casting my baitcaster, I had nothing but back lashes – we all have a few, but not every cast. Then as I’m reeling my line back in, I notice it’s caught across the back end of my boat and tangled in the handle. I decide to pull my line up and over the other two rods which would have fixed the problem easy enough … oh no … I then get my line tangled in my spinner bait and had to have Bob come over and help me fix it. I’m back to fishing again and hear Bob yell, hook-up. I look over to see what he has, all the while reeling in my line when it all of a sudden stops. I look down and have the biggest mess I’ve ever seen. My line somehow got all wrapped around the star drag and my reel handle … no way it could be the banana I’m thinking to myself. I couldn’t fix the mess so I cut the line and put my rod away. I pick up the next one and as I’m casting forward I catch the rod behind me which breaks my lure and it goes flying into the wild blue yonder. That’s it, the banana has to go! I reach behind to get it out of my pouch and fling that thing as far as it could go. Next cast after the banana was gone and guess what … fish on! The rest of the day was a breeze. I had lots of fun catching! Who knew!

After the banana tossing, Jackie and I moved to the south side of the bridge. Still using the spinnerbaits and picking away at them. Some aluminum skiff jockey sets up right next to me. He had the whole fricken bay to set up but this guy decides to start a drift right next to me. I figure OK; I’ll take the high road and move on. So I make a move closer in near the amphib base to set up my next drift. This skiff jockey (S.J.) then proceeds to motor up full blast and cut right in front of me to set up his next drift. I’m surprised my swimbait didn’t get caught in his prop. The same S.J. through out the morning repeated the bonehead maneuver several times throughout the morning. He had the whole flats to maneuver on, some people are so oblivious. I’m done *****ing. Caught a couple YFC on chartreuse swimbait, this being the average size.

Jackie got this one on a spinnerbait.

The wind started picking up around 11 so we headed back over towards the bridge. We were both catching one here and there. Nothing to exciting, the wind really started kicking up around noon so we headed in.

BC