All Kayak Fishing Forums

All Kayak Fishing Forums (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   2010 OEX Tournament Trail (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Oceanside tournament POSTPONED! (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815)

Iceman 02-19-2010 09:25 AM

Oceanside tournament POSTPONED!

The good news is we will not cancel any tournament if at all possible.

The February 20th Oceanside Tournament is being postponed until March 13th.
This is a tough call as the forecast has improved, wind is our biggest concern, this in conditions with big swell and rain. Winds have been down graded, but the chance for thunderstorms means we have very unstable conditions that could have one cell tear through and ruin someones day. This is not a risk we are willing to take. We can not send people out in open water, where some will be 2 miles from safe harbor under these conditions. We want to start this year on a high note and make it enjoyable for everyone from the veterans to those entering their first tournament. In postponing until Mar 13th we are squeezing this in between Fred Hall shows and will allow time to prefish for event #2 in Mission Bay. We will be rolling over entries to March 13th, or to any other event.

If you know anyone entered please pass this along!

1Flatfish 02-19-2010 10:41 AM

Re: Oceanside tournament POSTPONED!

Thanks Iceman for letting us know. I know this was not an easy decision to make. But in my opinion, the prudent thing to do. Can't wait.

Will B. 02-19-2010 12:16 PM

Good decision.

I was just reading on magic seaweed that a 5.5 swell translates to 7 foot surf--there is a good chance that the harbor would be closed or very hazardous and being exposed to unstable elements 2 miles out can also be a difficult situation.

This will be a great event when conditions are good.

Thanks to OEX for their concern for our well being.

bigderel 02-19-2010 12:25 PM

Good call Andy. Definitely the correct call. I know as a director you have the unfortunate task of having to predict the future with a little help from those guessing weather folk :willy_nilly: I'm sure there is disappointment but it would be extra lame to have people drive to Oside from wherever if the tourney status was in doubt. In addition, if the tourney were to happen it may force people to put themselves into situations they normally wouldn't put themselves into.

Bottom line is if it's iffy there is no reason to send anyone out vs. mother nature. The chances of an incident with someone is too great and no bass is worth that.

T-Rex 02-19-2010 01:22 PM

Good call...It's the right decision.
Much better to be safe than sorry.

xBEEFEDGEx 02-19-2010 03:07 PM

Damnit. Well I guess its a good thing, my live well still isn't done and I'm probably the one who would drown

gilrockit 02-19-2010 03:11 PM

I think this is a good call, March is a very hard month for a lot of people. For myself there is Fred Hall, seminars at the shop I fish for and to top it off, I have to be at Bass Pro March 13 to do a kayak seminar @ 1:00 pm. I would love to reschedule Bass Pro but they spent lots of money in advertising. By not fishing the 13th it hurts my team and the standing that means so much to me. I was planning on fishing the 20th no matter what the conditions were and even pre paid for the event. I understand the safety of people and that should be the first thing. I would like to see the tournament moved to another day like at least a few months in advance When we know the weather will be good and also to give us some time to plan. But I'm one voice, I have never been one to complain its just an opinion I understand that if I can't fish ,I can't fish. I know I'm only one voice, I may not agree with the 13 but I will respect it, it just sucks that I can't fish.

KirkG. 02-19-2010 03:15 PM

Of course you realize that this only means that the conditions will improve and it would be a perfect day to have a tournament. Partially sunny with a light breeze and small swell, fish jumping into the boats, dolphin frolicking in the surf. Afterwards the sun will be shinning and the view from the sand will be perfect.:drool5:

But, better safe than sorry, so good call.

KirkG.

Matt Moyer 02-19-2010 03:18 PM

That bad news for you guys but good news for me since March 13th works out well. I was just about to wish you all good luck tomorrow until I saw this thread. So everyone enjoy your families tomorrow and I will see you on March 13th:)

Moyer

zinkysd 02-19-2010 04:09 PM

I was really down to fish this tournament, talk about cabin fever. I also understand that know one wants to see anyone to get hurt or in over there head.
Now as for the 13th. I too would like to see the tournament moved to sometime after Mission Bay, the reason being is that there is no guaranty that weather will be any better in March and some people have to rearrange their schedules to fish these tournaments or take time off from work. Putting the tournament out farther in the future will allow everyone to plan accordingly. Just my .02

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski