All Kayak Fishing Forums

All Kayak Fishing Forums (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newport Report (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454)

PerryC 01-27-2007 09:46 PM

Newport Report

2 Attachment(s)
After a few set backs as far as a yak transport vehicle, kayak and having the weather cooperate, I was very ready to wet a line. Because I was going to be paddling my new kayak for the first time, something in a harbor was appropriate, and close to home is Newport. I arrived in the afternoon and met a fellow yakker named Art whom was nice enough to fill me in on the fishing and even give me a couple of the baits he was using. The wind was up but I was going fishing. For the first couple of hours, the tide was coming in at a good clip and the wind was a strong offshore blow. Instead of tossing plastics other baits for the bass, I decided to drop shot some grubs so I could control the kayak to some degree and do some drifts. There was alot of action on the grubs, but they were dinks :( Then a few clouds came over and put some water on my head, but I stayed and hoped for the wind to die down just a bit and the tide to slow. Two hours into the trip, I was rewarded with just a breeze and a slower incoming tide just about to peak. I grabbed the bass stick and tried some baits my friend in Italy sent me smothered in Hot Sauce. The first pic is one of the cookie cutter 13 inch spotties I caught. The second photo is the 16 inch spottie I caught. Needless to say, I was happy :thumbup ....Another successful "Night Ops" with the bass.
Perry

gone_fishing 01-27-2007 09:58 PM

Re: Newport Report

Thanks for the report Perry. I wanted to make it out but I was tied up at work. I'm aching to get back out there soon. Had my son clean all the crud and spider webs my yak has been collecting. See you on the water.

Hank

Incredible 01-27-2007 11:27 PM

Hey Perry
Nice fish.I wish I would have known you were going out today. Although my truck is in the body shop I still have the Suburban with my Thule racks on it. Always good to have a backup. Maybe next time.
I should be slowing down at work a bit and maybe I will get a few more Saturdays off. I hope we get some good weather soon.

Piranha 01-27-2007 11:59 PM

Nice report, Perry. You are Mr. Macho. It takes stamina to nail those night owl spotties ! But your enthusiasm paid off. Gimme a hoot if you want a boost on the bait tank! Jerry/Piranha:brews

Robert 01-28-2007 12:47 AM

Perry,
Way to go on the spotties! I was going to go to Shelter Island, but some stuff came up. :badair Good to see that the weather laid down and you got on some
nice fish! :thumbup How did the new yak work out?

Robert

PerryC 01-28-2007 07:28 AM

Incredible,
Sorry you didn't know about the trip. I posted it here earlier in the week but didn't know you hadn't read it when we spoke. Alot of guys back off on fishing, posting and checking this forum this time of year but now can be some of the best inshore fishing with alot less boats on the water.

Robert,
The yak worked out well :thumbup It had a nice and dry hull after being on the water, so now I'll add the Rhynobar to it I was looking to sell and some forward rod holders, fish tape and so on. I sure notice I'm in a smaller kayak, but it's real nice to move around and load on the truck. The wife and kids will be able to use it also and paddle the bays and lakes with it, and be able to load it on the truck using the running boards and new rack system.

Perry

Beachem 01-28-2007 11:16 AM

Perry,

Nice going on the night time spottie action. Must have been mighty cold out there.

Bob

spooky007 01-28-2007 06:57 PM

Nice report Perry!! My outing wasn't as succesful!!:( Was only able to manage one small spotty. Had to be off the water at noon to get back for my sons Basket ball game. It was nice getting out though!!

Al

jclays 01-29-2007 02:24 PM

Nice spotties.. Which yak did you get??

gone_fishing 01-29-2007 08:04 PM

I think it was a Mango MK ProExplorer.

Hank