All Kayak Fishing Forums

All Kayak Fishing Forums (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Need GPS recommendations (http://www.allkayakfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782)

ridgewalker 01-06-2010 07:57 PM

Need GPS recommendations

Any recommendations for a hand held GPS? My plan is to use it for finding fishing locations and to keep from getting lost (such as Everglades) or finding the shortest routes from point A to point B.

Thanks in advance for your help.

spencerssf 01-06-2010 10:14 PM

Re: Need GPS recommendations

It really depends on how much mony you want to spend?

landwhale 01-07-2010 07:32 AM

I like the Garmin 76 mainly because it has a larger screen..........

ridgewalker 01-07-2010 05:40 PM

Oooops...cost:biggrinjester:, yes good question. How about under $300?

spencerssf 01-07-2010 07:01 PM

You should probly go with a Garmin and they have some good ones for under $300.

ridgewalker 01-08-2010 08:46 AM

Checked out the Garmin 76CX today. It looks good with tide charts, moon phases, floats, IPX7, lots of waypoint memory, and as you said landwhale, larger screen. Think this is what I'll look for. A little expensive, but probably worth it and it should work in my vehicle on trips as well.:driving:

Thanks guys for the suggestions and input! (now to come up with the funds?!)

Siebler 01-18-2010 12:09 PM

My hunting Buddies and I al have the Garmin Rhino units (everybody has a different model from the base all the way up to the top end color unit). Nobody has complained about these for the 3-4 years we have been using them.

Some pretty cool features including FRS Radio and a tracking system to see where other people in your party are at.

Rrdstarr 05-31-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgewalker (Post 5202)
Checked out the Garmin 76CX today. It looks good with tide charts, moon phases, floats, IPX7, lots of waypoint memory, and as you said landwhale, larger screen. Think this is what I'll look for. A little expensive, but probably worth it and it should work in my vehicle on trips as well.:driving:

Thanks guys for the suggestions and input! (now to come up with the funds?!)

That is what I use and it works great! It was $259 CAD from gpscentral.ca

tinknocker07 01-02-2011 05:13 AM

I like my Garmin 60 csx because it has been the most accurate 3 ft when Geo-caching, good size screen water proof to IPX7.

Nate

T-Rex 01-07-2011 12:24 PM

I've got a Garmin 76CSx and a Garmin Oregon 400c. It took a little looking, but got each one on sale for well under $300 when they were new models. Both are great units, but I find the touchscreen of the Oregon easier and faster to use than the 76CSx's buttons. The Oregon is also smaller with a bigger screen easier to read screen. The only drawback is that it doesn't float like the 76CSx.